My wife and I are true pizza aficionados. In fact, when we started dating, date night was pizza. We traveled to find new pizza spots and enjoyed those times eating cheesy goodness.
It’s been 30 years and we’re still pizza geeks. But now, I make pizza from scratch for her. The thin crust pizza recipe I’m going to share with you is my go-to homemade thin crust pizza.
The dough can also double as a deep dish or pan pizza as well. To make a deep-dish pizza, you use all of the dough instead of half.
This recipe will make two 12 inch thin-crust pizzas. The homemade pizza sauce recipe is a nice blend of sweet and tangy with the perfect amount of spices and herbs.
Thin Crust Pizza
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast or 1 pkg.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup warm water 105-110 F
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- Add the sugar to the water and stir. Stir the yeast into the warm sugar water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt, and garlic powder to a large bowl and mix.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and stir with a spoon just until all ingredients are mixed well and the dough comes together.
- Turn the pizza dough out on a floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes or until the dough forms a ball and has an elastic feel. It should have some pull to it like soft taffy.
- Put the dough into a large bowl and coat all sides with olive oil. Let the dough rest for 2-4 hours or until it's doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Grease a 12-inch pizza pan with olive oil and place half the dough in the pan. Pat the dough out over the whole pan.
- Spread 1/2 cup pizza sauce over the dough and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Add your toppings of choice and top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese or more
- Bake in a hot oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. Pizza is done when the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.