When I get the craving for a chili dog, I want it loaded. My chili dogs aren’t the kind you can hold with your hand, it requires a plate, fork, and napkin. If you don’t have homemade hot dog chili sauce along with onions, cole-slaw, and cheddar, you’re doing it wrong. It’s a perfect balance of savory, spicy, sweet, and cheesy all in one bite.
How to use hot dog chili sauce?
You can use the hot dog chili sauce anywhere you like chili. I like putting it on chili-cheese nachos. Pile your corn tortillas onto the plate followed by some nacho cheese sauce, chili, onions, and jalapenos. That’s the best way you can eat nachos.
How to make hot dog chili sauce
It’s a very simple recipe that cooks up in no time. Brown your ground beef, add your tomatoes and spices, and let it simmer for a little while. There is basically no prep unless you want to add fresh onions instead of onion powder or minced onions.
Homemade Hot Dog Chili Sauce
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat a large heavy skillet or shallow pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and start crumbling.
- Cook the ground beef for three minutes on medium-high and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add all of the ingredients and stir well. Simmer on low for 20 -30 minutes
- Stir occasionally and let the chili sauce thicken up.