Instant Pot Sloppy Joes is another reason why I can’t stop yelling from the rooftop about how the Instant Pot is one of the greatest all-time small kitchen appliances. It will never be ranked higher than the old-fashioned crockpot, but it’s changed my life and how I cook.
Sloppy Joe is at the top of my all-time favorite foods list. And now, making it in the Instant Pot makes it taste much better. It started when I was a child and eating it at school. They made the best and sloppiest Joe sandwiches ever. It had lots of tomato sauce and ground beef with the right amount of fat, green peppers, onion, and a tiny amount of sugar.
What is so special about Sloppy Joe? It’s not only a sandwich, but it’s also great comfort food and makes for a nice family meal during the summer or winter.
What is Sloppy Joe
It’s only one of the greatest sandwiches ever and easily one of the best foods. It’s versatile and can be eaten for lunch, dinner, or as a snack. I even like Sloppy Joe nachos. Pile the mixture on top of corn tortillas with shredded cheddar cheese, onions, and a dollop of sour cream. Simply put, it’s a mixture of ground beef, tomato sauce, spices, and veggies.
It can also be used like chili and topped on a hot dog with jalapenos and onions. One of my favorite ways to make it is to use bbq sauce and make a BBQ Sloppy Joe.
How to make Sloppy Joe
There are many ways and variations of Sloppy Joe, but nothing beats the old-fashioned recipe with ground beef and tomato sauce or ketchup. You can make it with ground beef or ground pork. If you want a healthy Sloppy Joe, use lean ground turkey or ground chicken.
You can use a store mix, but it’s so easy to make and homemade tastes way better when making a homemade sauce or using canned stuff like Manwich. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve used a few cans of Manwich, and it’s not that bad, but I much prefer old-fashioned homemade Sloppy Joe.
It doesn’t take long to make, just brown your ground beef with onions and green peppers. Add the tomato sauce and ketchup along with your spices and seasonings and let simmer for a bit. It’s eaten traditionally on a roll or bun, but it’s also deliciously served on tortilla chips or even steamed white rice.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joe
- 1 lb. ground beef pork, turkey
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by cooking the ground beef in the Instant Pot. Set the pressure cooker to saute on high. Break up the ground beef just like you're making tacos. Once you've got the ground beef broken up, add the onions and peppers and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and position the steam release valve to closed. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
- When it's done cooking, let it naturally release the steam for 8 minutes and then manually release the steam.
- Remove the Sloppy Joe mixture from the Instant Pot and serve. (See below notes for ways to serve)