If you’re a meatball lover like I am, then you’ll love these chicken meatballs. I ground boneless-skinless chicken thighs, but you can buy ground chicken in the store.
If you can’t find it, ask your grocery store butcher if they can grind up a few pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs. If they’re not busy, they’ll more than likely be happy to help you.
These chicken meatballs go great with typical chicken side dishes. They are very yummy with stuffing, white rice, and even pasta. I find them way more versatile than traditional beef meatballs, and they’re also awesome in spaghetti sauce.
Where to buy chicken meatballs?
If you can’t find ground chicken or you don’t have a meat grinder to grind your own chicken thighs, your next best bet is to buy frozen chicken meatballs.
They’re not as easy to find as frozen beef meatballs. I have seen them in Whole Foods and other specialty grocery stores like Costco’s.
What goes with chicken meatballs?
My favorite way to eat homemade chicken meatballs is with a nice savory stuffing. If you don’t feel like making stuffing from scratch, Stove Top stuffing works well and no one will ever know.
The stuffing is so delicious with the cream of mushroom soup that serves as a gravy when cooked with the chicken meatballs. Any green veggie like green beans or asparagus goes well with the meatballs.
Homemade chicken meatballs that you grind is also easily frozen. You can either freeze the ground chicken or make the meatballs and freeze.
I froze a couple of dozen and threw them on the smoker after they thawed. They were the best barbecue chicken ever. I’ve never eaten a smoked chicken meatball, but it’s now one of my favorite foods to bbq.
If you like eating bbq fatty, you’ll absolutely love smoked chicken meatballs.
They’re a nice change from beef and pork meatballs. Chicken is healthier than beef and pork and the thighs have way more flavor than chicken breast.
Ground Chicken Meatballs and Gravy
- 1 lb ground chicken dark meat boneless skinless thighs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 oz milk
- Oil for frying
- Place the ground chicken in a large bowl followed by the egg, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, seasoning salt, and black pepper. Mix with your hands until well blended. Make 2-inch meatballs and set them aside.
- Preheat a heavy skillet to medium-high heat and cover the bottom of the skillet with oil. Brown the meatballs for 2 minutes and remove from the skillet and any remaining oil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Pour the mushroom soup and milk into a medium-size bowl and whisk. Put the meatballs back in the skillet and pour the soup over the meatballs and sprinkle in the parsley.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.