Air fryer zucchini fries are one of my new favorite ways to eat zucchini. I’ve always loved zucchini fries, but they can really absorb lots of oil when deep-fried, and they turn out limp if not cooked correctly in the oven.
I have successfully cooked them in a hot oven. Coat the zucchini sticks with olive oil and then coat with a parmesan cheese and herb mixture. Place them in a very hot oven and cook until crispy and golden brown. This method yields some really great zucchini fries.
I was actually very surprised at how well the air fryer cooked the zucchini fries. They turned out crispy and the recipe is simple and takes no time at all to prep and cook.
I ate them with zesty cool ranch dressing. I’m now a big fan of cooking zucchini fries in the oven, and they’re now my favorite snack when binge-watching my favorite television shows.
Where to buy zucchini fries
I’m not sure you can find frozen zucchini fries in the store. If so, I’m positive they’re not as good as fresh. Cut up your own fresh zucchini for the best results.
How to cut zucchini fries
You simply cut them like you would potatoes when making homemade french fries. You can leave the skin on or take it off. The only thing I would add is not to cut the zucchini into fries that are too big. Crinkle cut size is fine and so is shoestring size. I’ve never had much luck getting zucchini fries crispy when cutting into wedges or like large steak fries.
How to make zucchini fries without breadcrumbs?
I cook zucchini fries with and without breadcrumbs. I don’t use a lot of panko and I blend it finely in the blender so it’ll coat better. To make them without breadcrumbs, you simply coat them with olive oil and then bread with parmesan cheese and herbs.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 1 large zucchini
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fine panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil or two eggs you can use olive oil or an egg wash
- oil spray
- 1 tbsp water
- Cut the zucchini into thin fries. A little thicker than shoestring size fries
- In a bowl combine the cheese, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning.
- Pour the olive oil over the zucchini fries and coat well or, dredge in the egg wash. Bread the zucchini sticks a few at a time in the cheese and breadcrumbs and place them on the baking sheet.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 3 minutes.
- Place some zucchini fries in the air fryer in a single layer, lightly spray with oil and cook for 6 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn the zucchini fries and spray the other sides with the oil. Finish cooking for another 6 minutes or until golden brown.