This cheesy Mexican cornbread recipe uses a jiffy cornbread mix and other spices to make a delicious cornbread that is great in soups or by itself with butter. I personally love it with chili or homemade beef and vegetable soup.
You can use other packaged cornbread mixes, but for me, there is nothing better than Jiffy. Growing up, that’s what my mom used and it’s my go-to cornbread mix.
I rarely make homemade cornbread. Why, when Jiffy has it figured out and you can use it as a base to make other recipes like hushpuppy cornbread. I’ll post that recipe soon. It’s awesome with lima beans.
Cheesy Southwestern Cornbread - Jiffy Recipes
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix or any prepared cornbread mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup taco blend cheese or Kraft asadero cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon bacon grease
- Add the bacon grease to a small baking pan and preheat in the oven (cast iron skillet is best)
- Prepare the Jiffy according to the box instructions
- Add the spices and cheese and blend well
- Pour the mixture in the hot pan and cook according to the box instructions.