Beef liver is pan-seared and smothered and braised in brown gravy and onions. Beef liver onions and gravy is the ultimate comfort food that’s served with mashed potatoes and fried corn.
Brown the liver on each side and make the homemade gravy with the kitchen bouquet to get a nice dark and rich color. The kitchen bouquet also adds some extra flavor that makes the gravy taste wonderful.
The liver is then added to the pan and braised in brown gravy. You can also make the onion gravy before putting the liver in the pan.
This is the best method for those who like to keep their liver on the medium-rare to medium side. I like my beef liver well done so I simmer in the gravy until the onions are tender.
Easy side dishes to serve with liver onions and gravy
My favorite side dish to serve with the liver onions and gravy is mashed red potatoes. Spoon the onion gravy over the potatoes and serve with fried corn or any green vegetable.
Seasoned white rice also goes well with the liver onion and gravy. If eating seasoned white rice, I like green vegetables like green peas or seasoned green beans.
Do people still eat liver and onions?
I get this question all the time when I’m asked what some of my favorite foods to eat and cook are and my response is beef liver and onions. It amazes me how so many people dislike liver.
There are plenty of people that love eating liver and onions. It’s even better with homemade brown gravy. Smothered beef or pork liver tastes amazing.
Liver and Onions with Gravy
- 1 lb. sliced beef liver
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon kitchen bouquet
- 1 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Place the flour and seasoning salt in a bowl and whisk to mix.
- Pre-heat a large skillet on medium-high meat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Dredge the beef liver in the seasoned flour mixture and brown on each side for one minute. Remove the liver and all fatty bits and impurities from the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the skillet. Add 4 tablespoons of the flour mixture to the skillet and stir. Cook on medium heat until it starts to turn a dark golden brown.
- Stir in the water and simmer until the gravy starts to thicken. Stir in the kitchen bouquet and more water if needed. Put the liver back into the skillet and top with the onion slices.
- Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until the onions are tender.