Meatloaf is pretty much a staple in the Western diet. It’s a classic that was made by your grandmother, mother, and now you. Most families have a meatloaf recipe that’s been passed down over the years.
And most are classic with either: crackers, bread, or bread crumbs. The traditional meatloaf recipe is so delicious and that’s why it’s stood the test of time.
My meatloaf is a little different than the classic. I don’t use ketchup in the meatloaf and I don’t use ketchup as the glaze. What is one of the best seasonings for beef?
Heinz 57 Meatloaf
Yes, I use Heinz 57 instead of ketchup in the meatloaf mixture. Why use ketchup when you can season the mixture with a great product like Heinz 57. I know the classic meatloaf recipe uses the sauce for a glaze, but I like to incorporate it into the meatloaf mixture.
Teriyaki Glazed Meatloaf
The other not-so-traditional twist on my meatloaf recipe is my glaze. I combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki seasoning sauce, and honey.
What makes a good meatloaf?
A really good and amazing meatloaf has to be cooked perfectly and has a perfect balance of flavors. And one of the biggest complaints you hear about meatloaf is that it’s dry.
How To Keep Your Meatloaf Moist?
After you form the mixture into a loaf, add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. This will keep it moist and it will basically steam. I cover with foil for the first 45 minutes. This is a no-fail way to keep the meatloaf moist.
Heinz 57 Meatloaf
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- 1 cup frozen seasoning blend peppers, onion and celery
- 1/4 cup Heinz 57
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cup saltine crackers crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the glaze
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with your hands until well blended.
- Put the mixture in a baking or loaf pan. If using a baking pan, form the mixture into a loaf.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and glaze the meatloaf. Put back in the oven uncovered and bake for 15 minutes.