My wife and I are true pizza aficionados. In fact, when we started dating, date night was pizza. We traveled to find new pizza spots and enjoyed those times eating cheesy goodness.
It’s been 30 years and we’re still pizza geeks. But now, I make pizza from scratch for her. The thin crust pizza recipe I’m going to share with you is my go-to homemade thin crust pizza.
The dough can also double as a deep dish or pan pizza as well. To make a deep-dish pizza, you use all of the dough instead of half.
This recipe will make two 12 inch thin-crust pizzas. The homemade pizza sauce recipe is a nice blend of sweet and tangy with the perfect amount of spices and herbs.
Easy Thin Crust Pizza Recipe With Homemade Sauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast or 1 pkg.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup of warm water 105-110 degrees
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- Add the sugar to the warm water and stir to dissolve. Stir the yeast into the warm sugar water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- While you're waiting for the yeast to rise, add 2 cups of flour, salt, and garlic powder to a large bowl and sift or mix together.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix until blended and the dough is sticky. Flour a surface with 1/4 cup of the flour.
- Put the pizza dough on the floured surface and start kneading. Slowly add the extra flour to the dough when it becomes too sticky and knead for 6-8 minutes. The dough ball should feel elastic and have some pull to it like soft taffy.
- Put the dough into a large bowl and coat with olive oil. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest in a warm place for 3-4 hours or until its doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Grease a 12-inch pizza pan with olive oil and place half the dough in the pan.
- Press the dough out over the whole pan.
- Spread 1/2 cup pizza sauce over the dough and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Add your toppings of choice and top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese or more
- Bake in a hot oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. Pizza is done when the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.