This is an old-fashioned Southern-style soul food green beans and ham hocks recipe. I’ve been eating this dish since I was a little kid.
We usually ate them on Sunday with fried chicken, ham, baked chicken, or smothered pork chops. They’re also the perfect bbq side dish.
To get these soul food green beans perfect, you have to boil your ham hock for a while before cooking the green beans. This method will season the water and give the green beans that wonderful flavor.
How to make Southern-style green beans
This is a very simple recipe that features two main ingredients. Boil one smoked ham hock and onion per two cans of green beans. Cook the ham hock for at least 90 minutes before adding the green beans. Cook the ham hocks and green beans until they’re tender and most of the water has cooked off.
Soul Food Green Beans and Ham Hocks
- 1 large smoked pork ham hock
- 2 cans green beans
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups water enough to cover the ham hock
- Put the ham hock in a pot and cover with water. Cover and cook on medium-low for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ham hock and cut into small bite size pieces. Add the green beans, onion, basil, salt and pepper and ham hock (bone to) back to the pot and cook on medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes to reduce the broth.