This soul food instant pot oxtail recipe is quick and simple, but very delicious. The oxtails take very little time to cook in the Instant Pot. You can make this dish in under an hour.
It’s one of those meals where you come home, throw the ingredients in the Instant Pot, set the timer, and go take a shower. By the time you’re done and had a glass of wine, the food is ready to eat. Oxtails are one of my favorite foods to eat and I’ve eaten my fair share growing up down South.
They’re a staple in many homes down South and used quite a bit in many soul food dishes. I love eating oxtails and beans or oxtails and rice. It doesn’t get much better than a pot of oxtails and lima beans slow-cooked in a crockpot.
I still like using my slow cooker, but putting oxtails in a pressure cooker makes life much easier when you don’t have time to wait for a nice hearty meal. It’s as simple as smothering the oxtails in cream of mushroom gravy, onions, and celery.
Are oxtail beef or pork?
An oxtail comes from a cow, which of course, is beef. I have seen some pretty beefy pigs, but never a porky cow. All jokes aside, back in the day, oxtails were the tails of an Ox.
But today, most oxtails are cow tails that are cut into pieces or sections. Oxtails are also sold in whole pieces about a foot long. These are great for roasting and make nice rich beef stock.
Southern-style Instant Pot Oxtails
- Instant Pot
- 2-3 lbs beef oxtails
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- Pour the chicken stock into the Instant Pot and stir in the cream of mushroom soup. Add the onions, celery, seasoning salt, and black pepper and stir until mixed well. Put the oxtails in and give a quick stir to coat the oxtails with the gravy mixture.
- Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Let the Instant Pot naturally release.