This is my favorite shrimp egg roll recipe and it’s very close to what you order from a Chinese restaurant. Your family and friends will love you if you make these for them. When I do make them, I make a couple of dozen and leave them on the stove for everyone to snack on all day.
These homemade egg rolls really aren’t hard to make. I shred fresh cabbage in the food processor and buy the carrots pre-shredded from the grocery store. I like frying them in my cast iron skillet to get them nice and crunchy. When I make shrimp egg rolls I either use canned shrimp or fresh shrimp that I cut into very small pieces.
If you cut your shrimp into tiny pieces or use canned shrimp in your egg roll recipe, you’ll get shrimp throughout the egg roll instead of one big shrimp in every other egg roll.
If you really want a crispy golden brown egg roll without the wrapper being doughy on the inside, let the cabbage sit in the refrigerator for a few days after shredding. This will allow the cabbage to lose some of its water before making the egg roll.
Are shrimp egg rolls healthy?
Shrimp egg rolls are healthy before you start frying them in the oven. If you’re looking for a healthy shrimp egg roll you can bake them in the oven or even air fry them. I’ve air-fried egg rolls with success. They came out very crispy and almost as good as frying.
What’s in shrimp egg rolls?
A basic shrimp egg roll has shrimp of course and the traditional ingredients like cabbage, carrots, and soy sauce. Restaurant-style egg rolls sometimes contain raw egg, bean sprouts, and ginger.
How to make shrimp egg rolls
Making shrimp egg rolls really is an easy process. I use canned shrimp in my egg roll recipe because it’s easier and faster than peeling raw shrimp. The only step in prep that takes a little time is shredding the cabbage. I use my food processor and the cabbage is shredded in no time.
You then combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Now the fun part is rolling the egg rolls. Once you get the hang of it, you can roll one in no time.
Restaurant-style Chinese Shrimp Egg Rolls
- 8 cups shredded cabbage raw
- 1 cup shredded carrots raw
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, diced
- 2 1/2 tbsp onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pkg egg roll wrappers
- oil for frying
- Shred the cabbage and carrots in a food processor and place in a large bowl. Add all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the egg roll mixture in the middle of an egg roll wrapper. Place a dab of water on each corner of the egg roll wrapper and start rolling the egg roll by taking the corner that's closest to you and folding over the mixture.
- Tuck the corner under the mixture and fold the side corners over the egg roll and wrap tightly. See my video for how to roll an egg roll.
- Put enough oil in a heavy skillet that's deep enough to fry the egg rolls. Heat the oil to 350 degrees and carefully put the egg rolls in the pan. Fry on each side until golden brown and drain on paper towels.