This is an easy recipe for beef tacos with a homemade seasoning mix. The taco meat cooks up fast and easy and you can use it in hard shell corn tortillas or soft tacos. The recipe is also very versatile.
You can add more ingredients like cayenne pepper or minced onion and garlic. For convenience and quick tacos, I use powdered spices and herbs.
What’s the best ground beef for tacos?
I’ve always used 80/20 ground beef. The 80% meat to 20% fat ratio is perfect for homemade tacos. Ground sirloin or chuck is okay.
Best spices to use for homemade taco seasoning mix.
I always start with my base seasonings: cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Other spices that make a nice taco seasoning mix is ancho chili powder, adobo seasoning, and a pinch of smoked paprika.
What are the best toppings for tacos?
I personally love iceberg lettuce and shredded cheddar cheese as my go-to toppings, and I’ll make a few with fresh diced onions and sour cream. Black olives, jalapenos, and fresh cilantro are all great and will make a tasty taco.
Homemade Ground Beef Tacos and Seasoning Mix
- 1 lb. 80-20 ground beef
- 2 1/2 tsp dark red or regular chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp dried cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp flour optional
- 1/2 cup water
- hard or soft taco shells
- Start browning and crumbling the ground beef in a skillet.
- When the meat is crumbled add all of the spices.
- Add the water and stir well
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add flour and stir well if the taco meat is too loose
- Heat the hard taco shells in the oven on 225 for 5 minutes