If you like fried green tomatoes, you’ll definitely like fried cucumbers. I was really shocked that many people haven’t eaten pan-fried or deep-fried cucumbers. Maybe it’s a deep-fried Southern thing.
Down South, we fry just about anything. Fried pickles are really popular and pickles come from cucumbers so you should like them. Fried cucumbers taste like fried pickles, minus the saltiness.
What do fried cucumbers taste like?
If you think they taste like fresh cucumbers, you’re wrong. The deep-frying gives it a whole new taste and texture. The taste is more subtle and buttery than earthy and fresh. They almost taste like squash.
How do you make fried cucumbers?
They’re very easy to make and require a few ingredients and a little time. They can be pan-fried or deep-fried. I personally like to deep-fry them. You start with a large ripe cucumber and slice it into pieces that are the thickness of a sliced pickle.
Don’t slice them too thin and not too thick. If they’re too thick, they will get soft and limp after frying because cucumber contains so much water.
They’re then breaded in cornmeal and fried for a few minutes or until golden brown and crispy. The breaded cucumber is soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
- 2 cucumbers sliced (peeled optional)
- 1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- Start by adding the cornmeal and flour together in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add some cucumber slices and coat well. Do this with all of the slices and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a pan with enough oil for frying to 350 degrees. Fry the cucumbers until crispy and brown on both sides. Don't crowd the pan and if frying in a skillet, cook on both sides. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cucumbers can be pan-fried or deep-fried. When the first side gets crispy, flip them so the other side can get crispy. If you don't flip them, you'll have one side that's soggy and the water won't cook out of the cucumber.
- You can also make an egg wash if you want a thicker breading. They also don't have to be peeled. It's a preference